Born in Adria, Italy in 1950, Piva studied architecture at the University Institute of Architecture in Venice from 1968 to 1973 with Carlo Scarpa. During his graduate studies in Rome, he pursued architecture and industrial design. In 1988, he designed the B&B Italian factory at Misinto and from 1989 to 1998 the factories of Poliform at Arosio, Inverigo, Lurago, and in 1992/93 the factory of Wittmann in Austria. He designed the new office buildings for Alvigini in 1989, Floor-Gres in 1994 and 1997. In 1995 he won the competition for the Science Technology Park in Vienna. He has had numerous personal exhibitions at the Architectural Gallery of Munich and the Gallery Ulysses at Vienna. He has created numerous designs for B&B Italia, Poliform, De Sede, Riva 1920, and Wittmann. Since the late 1980s, he has been an associate professor in Vienna and has been a visiting professor in industrial design at several universities.