LC4 Chaise Lounge
The LC4 chaise lounge was originally designed as chaise lounge for the interior spaces of several of Le Corbusier’s residential architectural commissions in the late 1920s. Le Corbusier referred to this design as a relaxing machine allowing the user to adjust the cradle to assume a number of reclining positions. Over the past 80 years it has become an icon of the International Style and, along with several of the Le Corbusier, Perriand, and Jeanneret designs shown in 1929, is included in the permanent collections of numerous museums around the world.
The LC4 chaise lounge base frame is composed of matte black finish steel with a tubular steel cradle in chromed or painted finish. The slim profile polyurethane foam cushion is upholstered in select leather, or hairy hide and features a polyurethane foam tube-shaped bolster/neck rest in matching or contrasting leather.
Le Corbusier, Perriand, Jeanneret
In 1922, Le Corbusier began working in the new rue de Sèvres, Paris, atelier with his cousin Pierre Jeanneret with whom he shared research projects and design criteria in a profound and life-long professional relationship. In October 1927, the pair decided to draw on the contribution of a young architect who had already begun to establish a reputation on the architectural scene of the time: Charlotte Perriand. Their collaboration lasted through to 1937 and was extremely fruitful, especially in the field of furniture design. The partnership was highly significant, both in terms of the cultural weight of their achievements and their professional successes. It was together with Charlotte Perriand that the pair tackled the innovative project for “l’équipement d'intérieur de l’habitation”.